Gingerbread ice cream – Traditional Christmas style

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Katerina says:

I always prefer infusing herbs rather than folding cookies, so this must be amazing. I once used molasses, but golden sirup looks like a good idea. The only thing which really suprise me is the soda bicarbona thing 🙂

• Anders says:

Dear Katerina,

Yes, the golden syrup really makes quite some positive difference – the ice cream gets a very nice, smooth consistency, with a sweet flavour that (like molasses, I guess) really is ideal for gingerbread.

And I agree with you – the sodium bicarbonate surprised me too. In order to be sure, this should probably merit some blind-testing, but I would guess that the sodium bicarbonate somehow adds a further touch of “baked cookie” to the overall flavour 🙂

2. Thais says:

I tried this recipe after trying another one with a more American combination of spices and molasses and it was soooo overpowering, I was so disappointed 🙁 I had tried gingerbread ice cream in Germany and it tastes so different from that. Then, I ran into your recipe and decided to give it a try and O.M.G it is sooooo amazingly different and delicious!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I am definitely keeping this one and licking the bowl as I type this LOL… 🙂

3. Agnieszka says:

Hello!
    Thank you for all the ice cream inspiration!
    My absolute favourite ice-cream is Häagen Dazs “Cookies & Cream” and “Strawberries & Cream” and I would really like to try to do it myself 🙂 There is something really nice about their texture. Do you have any idea of how to do a “Häagen Dazs” like base?

Vänliga hälsningar
    //Agnieszka

• Anders says:

Hello Agnieszka,
      Happy to hear that you feel inspired!
      If you want to do something Häagen Dazs-like, I would suggest that you start with a French-style custard base (high in butterfat = relatively more cream than milk, and a lot of egg yolks). Lycka till!

4. Rosie from Sydney says:

This was delish! What an amazing blend of spices. Had to use fresh orange and used a mix of dried and fresh ginger as I was nervous about the fresh ginger. Have only had the mix in the freezer a couple of hours and hasn’t firmed up completely but had to try it early.

5. Tash says:

What can I say? This ice cream is absolutely amazing! It’s got layers of flavour, spicy at first with lingering warmth from the ginger. I live in a warm weather Christmas country so this was part of my Christmas dessert.

I substituted 30ml treacle for the golden syrup and used 3 strips of fresh orange peel because I don’t have bitter orange here. I also made 1.5 times the recipe (and I’m so glad I did!) Thanks for sharing.

I was intrigued about the baking soda too – not sure what it does but I added it anyway – maybe it’s the magic that makes this recipe so great.

• Anders says:

Tash,
      Thanks for your kind words. I also wondered about the baking soda but like your suggestion that it may be the “crowning magic” 😉
      (My own guess is that it contributes to the overall “baked cockie”-character of the flavour)