Butter Queen Vanilla (vanilla with quality butter)

You may also like...

13 Responses

1. John Charles Farrell says:

Marvelous collection of recipes. SHE said to me this morning that I should forget about bread making and start becoming expert at ice cream making. Since the suggestion came from SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED I will start this week using the Base Recipes.

• Anders says:

Hi John!

Thanks for the kind words, and good luck in your quest to become an expert at ice cream making (and please She Who Must be Obeyed 😉 ).

2. Ronny Henry says:

Will a pinch of salt ruin the taste of the ice cream?

I haven’t tried this recipe, but I’m very interested in it. It won’t taste similar to brown butter ice cream, will it?

• Anders says:

Hi Ronny,

I don’t think a pinch of salt would ruin the taste. Some would probably say that such a pinch could be useful to boost the flavour of most ice creams – whether it holds true for you and vanilla, however, is ultimately something for you to decide upon 😉 .

And no – it should not taste like brown butter, as one of the points here is exactly to avoid burning/browning the butter you’ll be using.

3. Marcus Rann says:

Hello Anders, I’ve just tried this recipe. The flavour is, as you say, exceptional and refined. The texture, on the other hand, is relatively coarse. Other than chilling the base down contrary to the given method before churning is there any step I could take to eliminate this?

• Anders says:

Hello Marcus,
      Happy to hear that you liked the flavour – it is indeed a special gem!
      As to coarseness – and as you already seem to have thought of yourself – I would guess that the primary problem probably lies with the length of our churning (the longer it gets, the larger the ice crystals … well, you know that!). If you cannot shorten the time it takes to churn the base otherwise, pre-chilling the base (more) before the churning would be the obvious and classic solution, but with this particular recipe you would then likely face the risk of having the butter molecules starting to lump together again. I would suggest that you start by attempting to find a golden balance here, where you bring the base to a cooler state than what you tried before, but still not so cold that you run into butter lumping problems (and, if so, you could possibly try to address butter lumping by running the cool base through a frenzied blender-session before churning …).

If you are willing to test other solutions – which, I concede, may alter the character of the original recipe – you may replace some of the milk in the recipe with cream, and/or replace some of the sugar with inverted sugar (corn syrup, glucose syrup or their likes). You could also ponder adding 1-2 tablespoons of skimmed milk powder and see if that might help. Best of luck!

4. Marcus Rann says:

Anders thank you so much for your thoughtful response. The chill and blitz idea sounds promising. I’m always keen to keep ingredients to the barest minimum. Having said that your italian meringue method for sorbet is sensational. I’ve tended to add it to the mix earlier in the process than you recommend which gives a result nearer to frozen puree than frozen mousse. It’s still wonderfully scoopable after a week in the freezer.

• Anders says:

Great to hear Marcus!
      By the way – I had to make some vanilla ice cream today, and since your question brought this one back to my attention, the choice of recipe was easy 🙂 !

5. Alison says:

Dear Anders, so far so good! I only experienced a virtual skin whilst cooling the mixture to 50 but got away with it! Was still warm when it went into the Kmix. I can’t wait for tea time to try it
    Thank you for this recipe you’ve brightened up my day

6. Alison says:

Hi Anders, Thank you for your recipe.
    This is how incredible your butter ice cream is,
    My husband bought me an ice cream maker the next day!! Our ice cream parlour has closed down. I noticed the ingredients on last year’s empty tub included butter and then l saw your recipe. I used gold top milk and Isigny butter. If we want to make chocolate ice cream, what should we do?

• Anders says:

Hi Alison and thanks for your kind words!
      Transforming this recipe into a chocolate one should not be too difficult, as the only “alteration” necessary would be the actual addition of chocolate. You can have a look at some of the existing chocolate recipes on the blog for more inspiration, but simply chopping up a bar of good-quality chocolate (at least about 100 gram’s worth) and letting it melt into your custard would probably do the trick. Should you want to emphasise the chocolate flavour even further, you might consider to add a couple of tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder in the mix.
      Good luck and hope both you and your husband will continue to be happy with the result 🙂 !