Fior di Latte ice cream

You may also like...

18 Responses

1. Anand says:

I wanted to add some info for comparison.

This is a gelato. If you are using heavy cream (assuming that’s what you meant by “cream”), it has the following composition:

Water: 71%
    Fat: 6.6%
    Sucrose (sugar): 15%
    Non-fat solids: 11%
    Total Solids: 29%

By comparison, many home ice cream recipes use cream and milk in a 2:1 ratio (yikes!). Walt’s Dream (Ample Hills) uses non-fat dry milk to reduce the fat. It has the following composition:

Water: 56%
    Fat: 16%
    Sucrose (sugar): 14%
    Non-fat solids: 11%
    Total Solids: 44%

In our ice cream shop, we’ve discovered that aging the mix matters to some recipes more than others.

-Sax

2. stacy hackney says:

Thank you for a delicious sounding recipe. I live in America. can you advise where I can buy gellan gum affordably?

• Anders says:

Hi Stacy,

Gellan is unfortunately one of the most expensive gelling agents out there, but (at least for private use) it is luckily also quite economical (a package will last quite a while). I´m not sure where you could find the best deals but Amazon sells it (just to name one close-to-global seller)- Best of luck!

3. Debbie says:

If you were to use arrowroot or cornstarch instead of the Gellan gum, how much would you need if you keep all other ingredients’ measurements intact?
    I am just starting to experiment with no egg gelato a. Do you feel that this base could function as a starter base for all flavors or do you feel that some are truly better with an egg yolk custard base?
    Thank you!

• Anders says:

Dear Debbie,

Have you checked out the arrowroot base recipe? It uses the same amount of liquid, so if you use about 5 tablespoons of Arrowroot starch you should be fine. If you use, like, corn starch, I would say that you could probably test with 3-4 tablespoons (finally, this depends a lot on personal preferences – check the many comments on the page for Sicilian gelato debating the optimal amount of starch to use 😉 .

As for starter bases, I think that the Fior di Latte-one could work very well as a general base, since it is easy to combine with many different flavours.

Do I think that some ice creams truly works better with egg-yolks? Well, that really depends on one’s personal taste. I’d say that most flavours usually work quite well in both types of recipes, but that those who prefer the particular “eggy” touch provided by … well, eggs, might feel that dimension missing (particularly if brought up” on egg-rich ice cream, making it the personal “standard for good ice cream”). Myself, luckily not constrained by any allergies, shamelessly love most types of ice creams, both those made with eggs and those without 🙂

4. Maanasa Narikimelli says:

Hi. This looks very simple and healthier. But I want to use Agar Agar instead of Gellan gum. Could you help me with the measurement?

5. Sumaniaka says:

Great! Can I use xanthan gum instead of gellan gum?

• Anders says:

Hi Sumaniaka,

Yes, with some caveats.
      Both gums are stabilisers, so in that sense you could replace one with the other as they basically fulfil the same function. However, they also have differences: They may differ in the way they should be added/activated (Xanthan should not need any heating, for example) and with regard to how much you’d need to use (check the manufacturer’s dosage recommendations). Also, and especially if “overdosed”, they may add their respective specific “touch” to the ice cream (Xanthan, for instance, could add an undesired, clingy mouthfeel of “creamy-but-not-from-cream”), so err on the side of caution when it comes to measuring.

6. Peggy says:

Hello Anders. Would gelatine work in this recipe? If so could you please recommend the quantity you think. Sometimes a lean ice cream is just what I want because they feel colder, lovely in very hot weather.

• Anders says:

Hello Peggy,
      I guess you could try to make a gelatin-version but I’m not sure about the quantities (with so little cream, I would put my guesstimate to at least three-four sheets). If you are looking for lean ice cream, may I recommend some Sicilian gelato? One of my own personal (and lean) favourites is the one using arrowroot 😉

7. Aku says:

By Ander thanks for the recipe please how do I make ice cream soft without getting hard after some days in the freezer? Wish I can even get a direct contact to communicate with you.
    Thanks

• Anders says:

Hi Aku,
      It is difficult to avoid – “ordinary” freezers are colder than the display-freezers you will find in ice cream shops, and then it also depends on things like how much sugar, cream and air you put in your ice cream.
      Some quick ways to make the ice cream freeze less hard is to (1) increase the amount of cream (=fat), or (2) add a little alcohol (will act as a kind of anti-freeze agent), or (3) increase the amount of sugar/replace some of the ordinary caster sugar with so-called inverted sugar (like corn syrup, honey, agave nectar …).

Another way to deal with the freeze-effect is to take out the ice cream from the freezer about 20 minutes or so before you plan on serving it. Or daringly soften your ice cream portion a little in a micro-wave oven before eating it (just be careful not to melt it all: a couple of 10-second rounds can go a long way 🙂

8. Tom says:

Hi Anders! Interesting that you’ve chosen to add a small amount of gellan – I’ve seen other recipes use more to set the base to a firm gel, then blend to make a fluid gel. Have you tried this way at all?

• Anders says:

Hi Tom,
      Perhaps that might be an option for those who really want to have a very firm consistency. Personally, I don’t really see the point: to me, it seems better to only add as much as you need to get the desired consistency 🙂

9. Kristen says:

Hi Anders,

I was able to find Gellan Gum at a reasonable cost but there are two types: High ACYL and Low ACYL, which would you recommend?