White House Cherry ice cream

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Wow, look at those huge cherries! Thank goodness the sugar syrup they’ve been soaked in should keep them soft.

• Anders says:

Michelle, thanks for checking by, and thanks again for your help:-). And yes, it is quite amazing to discover that the cherries neither freeze solid, nor offer any added extra “scoop-resistance” whatsoever – a good reminder about sugar’s capacity to counteract solid freezing in ice creams.

2. Joanie says:

I was always under the assumption that the cherries were representing the ornamental cherry trees lining the Potomac in DC around the White House. I guess I always just assued that despite having no evidence, haha.

3. grace shultz says:

Years ago when i was little my dad would buy us a whitehouse pineapple orange icecream it was delicious it would be nice if it could be brought back.

4. Kathryn says:

This year, I got a fantastic birthday present. While in a secondhand household goods store, we found a Bialetti exclusive ice cream maker. The user’s manual was in Italian, with an small insert in English with recipes. I don’t think the machine had ever been used. I have no idea how old it is; there’s no website printed in the manual, and I can’t find any ice cream maker on any current Bialetti webites. So I have a feeling that my machine is from pre household computer days, making it at least 25 years old. You don’t have to prefreeze anything- it’s an actual freezer. I LOVE it, and I was thinking about making maraschino cherry ice cream. Then I came upon this website. The recipe sounds amazing, and I will be making it for Christmas.

• Anders says:

Kathryn,
      It certainly sounds like you have come across a real treasure there! All the best to your future ice cream-making (including this recipe, which I hope will please you) and have a merry Xmas!

5. Scott Frazer says:

My dad was especially fond of Whitehouse cherry ice cream. This article brought back some nice memories.

6. lisa ackerman says:

My dad was born in Melville PA and has talked fondly of Yetters ice cream and candy store. Banana splits for 75¢ and so on but his favorite was the Whitehouse ice cream. I’m so excited to find this recipe and hopefully bring back some of those fond memories.